Thursday, January 1, 2009

fast, but not quite right

I'm experimenting with the Quick Fix Meals cook book. Made the fried rice from left-over pork roast on page 74. I had brown rice on hand (recipe called for white) but I tried it anyway. Not so good, even though my daughter M  declared, "This is really good Mommy!"
 We also thought it was a little heavy on the Hoisin flavor, but it was so easy, I'll try it again with double rice and broth and keep the Hoisin amount the same – and use WHITE rice!
As for M, she ate eggs in this dish which she normally avoids. Eggs are a great source of healthy fats, vitamins and protein.
Second note, I usually separate meats, grains and veggies because M liked it that way for a long time. I didn't with this one-dish meal and she loved it. Reminds me we need to challenge our kids from time to time. Just because she liked things one way last month doesn't mean she won't like it another way now. Try and try again!

3/5 stars, will make this with some overhaul

No comments:

Post a Comment