Friday, July 3, 2009

the package and the reality, Trader Joes rice...

So Trader Joe's finally opened near us after months of driving past it and watching the building process. I'd heard so much hype that I went in with M after camp one day. It was convenient because I forgot to pack her snack. We started on a banana and sipped a yogurt smoothie while we made our way through the crowded store. (Yes, I was one of those moms who let her kid eat "pre-purchase," but they  do sell bananas by the piece. 19 cents each...)
Anyway, we got their "vegetable" fried rice and noted that there were far fewer veggies in my bowl versus on the package. M declared it delicious however, so we might get it again but will have to make veggies or serve fruit on the side...

I prefer their Spanikopita to Whole Foods, mostly because it comes in its own foil tray which makes for easy  clean-up. 

Overall, not so wowed that I'll brave the traffic, complete with 2 cops, to go back, but will go back when I have more time to look at other things. My mom says her local TJs  has "Heppenheim" white wine for $6.99 which is from my mom's home town in Germany where her family belonged to the wine co-op. (Families bring their grapes in and get a share.) I tried it many years ago and thought it was good, and how cool to have a personal connection!

Do any of you have Trader Joe products you enjoy?

3 comments:

  1. 1) I am a big fan of all of the frozen vegetables. I think that the quality and selection is superior and you can't beat the price.

    2) Prices --I consistently save about $50/trip everytime I shop at Trader Joe's.

    3) I also love the European style TJ Mocha or Chocolate yogurt. They use cocoa powder, which I believe tastes much better than high fructose corn syrup to add flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a Trader Joes in Madison, never been there but I think I might have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this store.
    Their frozen vegetables are great, they have frozen fish at very good prices (2 or 3 varieties of wild salmon, halibut, cod...), I also like their frozen chicken breasts. The kids (and Stefan too, and OK, me too) love the frozen meatballs.
    They have a very nice choice of cereals and snacks, and... great chocolate (belgian or swiss, you can choose).
    And their wine and beer selection is very good, the prices are great too. Same for cheeses. And coffee. OK, I buy everything there and love it !
    You should try, it's worth it.
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete