Sunday, July 19, 2009

Composting, does it have to be so hard?

It's one task I truly hate (even more than cleaning cat-litter boxes...)
First there is the crock on the counter-top for scraps that-though odorless when shut-emits the moldy smell every time I open the lid. Then, it's one more thing to deal with. I take it out, climb through hostas, take off the lid which has been chewed on by squirrels (?) then dump in the scraps and liquid. I have to then stir it, being careful not to scrape my knuckles... In short, I hate it. I think I may have some useful compost next spring-after two seasons of composting in our northern climes. I wish I had shelled out $300 for a tumbler, but this one was $35 from our local community center.

Its one of those things that I don't like doing, but I feel guilty if I don't, like washing and re-using plastic sandwich bags...
Here is an article about counter-top worm compost. Sounds good (except for the great worm escape part) but I'm not rushing out... 
Does anyone use worm composting? 
What are things you hate to do, but do out of guilt? Nutritional? (Home-made organic baby food?) Environmental?

2 comments:

  1. Why using them at all (I mean the sandwich bags) ? I use a cloth napkin, folded aroubd the sandwich, and little containers for snacks, that I use, wash, and re-re-re-use.
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I'll have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete