Thursday, May 14, 2009

evenings at the park and meal planning

These lovely days make getting dinner on the table even harder. I pick M up from daycare/preschool at 4, and its so nice outside we often head to the park to play. 
Problem is trying to get home in time so I can work on dinner. Sometimes its 5:45 and we're still having a blast at the park. 
Last night it happened, but I had an easy dinner planned.

Whole Foods does these great little meatloafs for 6.99 a pound. (Usually ends up being about $9.) I baked it a few nights ago and we had Italian meatloaf with beans and mashed potatoes. (Initial bake takes 50-55 minutes, so not a last-minute meal.)
We eat less than half the first time around, so last night when we got home at 6, I put on a pot to boil for pasta and crumbled the left-over meatloaf, added some tomato sauce and served it with spaghetti and parmesan. I had enough leftover today for 2 lunches. 8 portions of protein from a $9 meatloaf, not bad!


Whole Foods Meatloaf sauce
time 15 minutes

Heat 12 inch skillet over med-high heat. Dice 1 medium onion and fry in 1 Tbsn olive oil until limp and soft. Add crumbled left-over meatloaf, 1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Stir and simmer (turn down heat) until pasta is done. No need to season as the meat has plenty of herbs etc. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired! 
Yummy and fast for those nights you can't drag them away from the park!

Kids say the darndest things (bonus joke!)
Swinging M at the park yesterday, I breathed in the heady aroma of Spring and exclaimed, "Doesn't it smell great! Smell the blossoms!"
The kid next to M, maybe age 4 deadpans:
"No, that was me, I just farted."

Thanks for indulging the potty humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment