Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Whoa! Whole wheat? spice cookies!

I'm not much of an adventurous baker, but this weekend, after a gorgeous walk on the Stone Bridge in Minneapolis with the family, and a great time at the Mill City Museum exhibit (GREAT for kids), we stopped off in their Betty Crocker bakery where the aroma was simply too enticing. They often have samples, and these were a surprising treat. Crunchy but chewy and everyone loved them. So after lunch, since I couldn't get work done due to neighbor's Heavy Metal loving work-crew, I thought I would bake these.

These are the first thing I have baked with 100% whole wheat flour that I have really liked. Whole wheat is very popular these days, what with the nutritional benefits and all, and the good news is you and your kids will actually like these.

A darling little girl was copying the recipe very carefully and slowly, so I leaned over her shoulder and snapped a few pictures of the recipe. All I know is it's vintage Betty Crocker. I didn't get the name of the cookie or the book...

I'll call them,

Whoa! Whole wheat? Spice Cookies!

1 1/2 sticks butter (unsalted)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon (note teaspoons, not Tablespoons...)
3/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger (powder)
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets.
Beat butter, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices in bowl until smooth. Then beat in molasses, egg, then flour. Refrigerate for 30 minutes up to 24 hours (cover.) (I did mine for about 15 and it was fine...) Scoop out cookies with Tablespoon measure (a little less) and put on sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes. (I did mine for 11 each time on the nose. They are a little puffy, but almost instantly will deflate and get the nice cracks on top.) SOOO good!!!

These will be M's after school snack with some milk and banana.

Do you have whole wheat recipe favorites?

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I made these last night, and they're great. I changed the spices a bit (more ginger, less cinnamon) and added a teeny bit of vanilla, and used white whole wheat instead of regular, and they came out perfectly.

    Thanks so much! The kids (12, 9, 6) haven't tasted them yet, but my spouse has, and he liked them too.

    ReplyDelete